Evening, & morning, & noon, will I pray, & cry aloud: & He shall hear my voice. Psalms 55:17

Monday, December 15, 2008

Soul Hunger

I read something recently that disturbed me a bit. Maybe because it hit too close to home. It was an advertisement for something. See if you can figure out what it is calling you to:
"It is what you crave on a dreary day and yearn for to help you forget about spurned love or work stress. ...it can make almost any day...better."
Can you guess? What comes to mind when you imagine someone trying to "forget" being rejected by love? What do you think people turn to when they need to drown out stress or pain? What do people crave... what do they need to make it feel all better?
Alcohol is the first thing that comes to my mind. Drugs? What else? (Blogging? lol) Those of us who have never used these things to satisfy our souls will never understand the intense cravings for the substance that will make it better.

Here is the full ad: "Take Comfort"
"It's what you crave on a dreary day and yearn for to help forget about spurned love or work stress. It's the FOOD of childhood... & it can make almost any day feel a little bit better. TURN TO our soothing comfort FOODS WHEN YOUR SOUL NEEDS NOURISHMENT."
Comfort Foods. Now, that's not so bad. It makes you feel all warm & fuzzy inside just thinking about it. And you aren't even looking at these pictures! Warm bread with whipped butter, mashed potatoes & gravy, macaroni & cheese with a crusty top, chocolate cakes with creme filling... is your mouth watering yet? Have the cravings started? Yes, go ahead- I'll wait for you to make a quick run to the pantry.

So what is the difference between using alcohol or using food to "feel better"? Not much, really. Drugs are outlawed, alcohol is frowned upon, but food is acceptable- even worshiped.

My journey began years ago with the thought that I needed to lose some weight. And it has come to the place where I realize just how addicted to food I really am. It would be great if a thought in the right direction took off a pound or two- but then there would be no opportunities to struggle, & fail, & for God to pick you up & shake you loose of the things that take His place. This is the thorn in my flesh. It sounds so lighthearted- we all love comfort foods. But I can't begin to tell you how dark & troublesome this is for me, & what it has produced in my life. It has me in chains, & God has asked me to give it up. It is so hard. I have made some decisions & set myself on a "road to recovery", but already after one week I can feel my resolve beginning to wane. This is the struggle that I'd like to share with you. I will probably blog about it a few more times in the beginning to cover a little more, but after that only now & then. There are obviously alot of other great things in life to blog about; & while this is something that I need to focus on, I don't want to get all "gloom & doom" about it either.

So, here it is in a nutshell. Thanks for listening. Please be sure to check back in now & then, & don't forget to leave a comment when you do. Thanks!!!

From my heart to yours, Jess

4 comments:

Davisix said...

Jess ~ Thanks for being so honest and forthcoming in this post. You are most certainly NOT alone in this. Food is a comforter..period. I'm proud of you. xoxox Ang

Shannon said...

Hey Jessica! This was so honest. Of course I'll be right there with you, following all the way, by phone and blog. I love you!

Alicia said...

Hi Jessica..believe me when I say this..you are not alone!! This is including myself! I think this post will help to minister to others. I look forward to your posts about this!! God bless you, girl!!

He And Me + 3 said...

What an honest post. I know I love food too. It does bring comfort, but my thing is shopping. Lord knows I need to give that up. something I need to work on for the new year. I will be around for your other posts for sure.