Evening, & morning, & noon, will I pray, & cry aloud: & He shall hear my voice. Psalms 55:17

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Big Burly Service Guys

Do you ever get nervous when you are home alone & you have service men come to do some sort of work in your house? I do. For all I know it could be a potentially bad situation. I always try to look as unattractive as possible.
A few days ago I called to see if I could get wireless internet at my house (I did tell you I was praying for a laptop, right?), & the next thing I know I was ordering u-verse- some wireless tv, internet, & phone package. I guess it saves me some money. I learned more about the man I was ordering it from than I did the actual service, but I figure it will come in handy in case I ever wanted to carry my 32" television around the house.
So this morning a big burly service guy knocks on my door to change the wiring for my new system. I'm feeling reeaallyy nervous about this, not only because I'm home alone but because I know nothing about what I've gotten myself into. "They have to change all my wiring? Oh, boy... Can't they just flip a switch? If this doesn't work I'm in deep doodoo." I then tried to call Sunshine to get it all of my mind & when I picked up the phone it was dead- he must have turned it all off. At that moment I felt like the lady in scary movies that frantically picks up the phone to call for help & there's no dial tone! I'm feeling a bit vulnerable. So I go to the window to see where the service man is & I see Big Burly Service Man #2 get out of another truck. "Oh, great. What do they need him for?" As I' m surveying the scene, Big Burly Service Man #3 pulls up & gets out. "This is getting ridiculous!"
For the next 5 hours (yes, 5) I had 3 Big Burly Service Men in & out of my house, on my roof, in my attic, up my telephone poles, & drilling holes into my walls. Under any other circumstance I might have found this delightful, but this seems like alot of work for a laptop I don't even own yet. And yes, they all know I'm home alone with no dial tone.
So I head to the kitchen to wash up some dishes & face the fuzzy creature growing in my pot, & I begin to pray. Right away God brings some verses to my mind. Verses that I often read to my son when he is frightened:

Psalms 3:3&6 For thou, O LORD, are a shield for me... I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people, that have set themselves against me & surrounded me.

Psalms18:6 In my distress I called upon the LORD & cried unto my God: he heard my voice out of his temple & my cry came before his ears. (This whole chapter is pretty amazing! It goes on to say how God gets angry, fights for us, & saves us from our trouble- just as a father would instinctively do for his own child!)

Psalms34:4&7 I sought the LORD & he heard me, & delivered me from all my fears. The angel of the LORD encamps all around those that fear him, & delivers them.

Psalms 36:7 How precious is your lovingkindness, O God, that the children of men put their trust under the shadow of your wings.

God's word is alive!! My nervousness was gone & I wasn't afraid. I was still uncertain about whether my old computer would hook up to the new system (I prayed about that, too), but I was confident that my father in heaven heard my distress signal & nestled me under his protection. I thought about what I would do for my own son. How much greater is his love for me? I wonder what God rescues us and our children from in this world that we don't even know about. I wonder how things would go for me in my life if I had not trusted him for my salvation & put my life in his care. I feel badly for those who have not gotten under this umbrella. If you know someone who needs Christ stop & say a prayer for them now. If you are reading this & you are not sure yourself, send me a note & we'll chat.
This was totally not what I intended to write. Though writing about it definitely helps me to see how amazing God is instead of it going on by as usual. And for the record, yes, my computer hooked up fine in the end. Praise the Lord!!

3 comments:

Davisix said...

Beautiful, funny, and creative post. I loved it!!! xoxo Ang

Kelly said...

Yes, yes... I usually schedule that stuff when my husband can be home or I have my dad come over!! Thanks for the reminders!!

Shannon said...

3 guys + 5 hours + no phone = I would have been freaked out! Isn't it great how the Lord gives us just the right verses when we need them. I never understood as a child about hiding God's word in my heart but now I do because He brings it back when we need it.
You had me belly laughing at picturing you carrying around your tv. :-) I'm glad the computer works, now laptop time!
Love you!!!